Bossy Pants




Is it bad that every time I'm at Target I can't help but peer down at the infant/toddler stuff? I'm not even sure what I'm looking for seeing as we won't know the gender or age of our child for awhile. It's fun to imagine some of the cute, soft, & functional items adorning the rooms of our house one day.  However, sometimes after I have my hypothetical shopping spree I end up feeling rather sad.

We are trying to balance restraint and reality with excitement and preparation. I know it's okay to be  anticipatory, but at the same time I know it could be awhile before we will need a bumbo or jogging stroller.

I read this quote the other day and it gave me chills, " A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path. " Agatha Christie

This quote resonates down to my bones. To me the quote seemed angry at first, but then I realized that it's just defining a fierce, righteous,  and protective love. The kind of love that gives a woman super strength to lift a vehicle off of her child that's been crushed beneath, or the kind of love that helps a woman leave an abusive marriage to give her child a better life, and the kind of love that sustains  a family who waits sometimes years to fly across oceans to meet and embrace the child that the Lord has called them to be mommies and daddies to. Yes, that kind of love. I'm blessed to feel it. 

ALL of our references are in! AMEN! We are now filling out a mountain of paperwork to be submitted to the agency's psychologist. We are planning to use the weekend to thoughtfully prepare everything, and get it submitted next week. I don't mind the paperwork one bit. I like the parts of this process that I feel like I can control. Yet another area of myself that I'm working on. Ultimately, I am well aware of who's in control here. 

The popular scripture that I so often cling to is in Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. "

We've been perusing plane tickets to Jamaica around November. 

I don't know, I'd like to do it sooner. I'm not sure, is it normal to make a weekend trip to Jamaica? Not that we're too concerned about what's normal anyway. It would be a lot to handle with work and everything..

Speaking of work, school started back this week and I have been so exhausted! I love my class, and I am looking forward to an awesome school year. 

I can make so many parallels between teaching and parenting. I feel like I'm receiving great training. 

Parenting is teaching in it's truest and most genuine form. I long for my students to develop lasting knowledge and a love for learning. I want them to grow in confidence, curiosity, and self worth. I hope they all know how much I care about them and pray for their success. 

We're still taking our classes through our church. To say it's been a commitment would be a dramatic understatement. I feel like I've done more reading for this class that I ever did in college. 


However, we are learning SO much. We leave every class with our minds blown. We are learning about how to parent an adopted child, how to be a conspicuous family, teaching our child coping skills, problem solving, discipline strategies, and so much more. Mostly, we've joined a beautiful community of people with beautiful hearts. 

I've posted some of the books we're reading. My personal favorite is Anatomy of the Soul. This book is based off neuroscience and scripture. It. is. fascinating. I highly recommend it. 

I'm also reading Bossy Pants by Tina Fey, just to keep things light. It's a busy time around here. A busy, but good time nonetheless. We're grateful for each moment.





Comments