The aforementioned you listed above refers to all of you. Adam and I have been so encouraged and blessed by the reactions we've received after announcing our adoption journey. It is so meaningful to know how much support and prayers we will have throughout this process. We are still in the 4-6 week waiting period before hearing about our pre-application. I asked Adam yesterday if it had been 2 weeks..(I felt 100% sure that it had), and he told me that it hadn't even been one.
I was encouraged in an e-mail (thanks, Aunt Brenda) that said Adam and I will reminisce back on this waiting time. In hindsight, we will see all the small ways that God was working. I will hold tight to that. Meanwhile, we're having a great time learning more about the history and culture of Jamaica. Here are some facts we've found:
Did you know:
- Jamaica is the largest English-speaking island in the Caribbean.
- Jamaica is the first Caribbean Country to gain Independence.
- Rum is the national drink of Jamaica.
- Ian Fleming designed and built his home, "Goldeneye", in Jamaica and wrote ten of his James Bond novels there.
- The Blue Mountains in Jamaica are named for the mists that often cover them, which look blue from a distance.
- Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the Winter Olympics.
- The national dish of Jamaica is Ackee and Saltfish.
- Jamaica is the third largest island in the Caribbean.
- Jamaica was the first commercial producer of bananas in the Western Hemisphere.
- Apart from the United States, Jamaica has won the most world and olympic medals.
Are you enlightened? You're welcome.
We are also attempting to learn Jamaican Patois. Although English is the official language that is both spoken and written in Jamaica, Jamaican Patois is an informal language that is cherished and spoken by most Jamaicans. Here is a a little gem we found online that can help you understand a bit more about Jamaican Patois, and teach you a little something too. Enjoy!