I don't know what to do with my hands.

In the profound words of Ricky Bobby, "I don't know what to do with my hands." I was wondering aimlessly around the parking lot looking for the object that I must have dropped before I got into my car to go home. I was aghast when I remembered that I had, only moments ago, decided not to bring anything home. It was then that I realized that about 98% of my day I have at LEAST one item in my hands at all time. A book, ruler, chalk, pencil, hall pass, and marker are just to name a few. So walking out of school today sans anything in my hands felt very peculiar, in a good way.

It's Thursday after Thanksgiving break, and one week ago today I was recuperating from an astounding consumption of calories. Heck, I'm still recuperating.

On Monday, when my herd of kids came barreling into my room, I had to take a double-take because I was certain at first glance that the tomfoolery going on in my classroom could not possibly be caused by my sweet and thankful little angels I had just left less that 10 days ago....

Here in lies a new teacher lesson:
Kids are ludicrous after a long break. Like, SERIOUSLY? I literally made both of my classes physically act-out turning a switch on their heads to symbolize the "auto-pilot" switch turning off and the "normal, sweet, sensical, children" switch turning on. It was both symbolic and necessary, because believe it or not, it made a difference. (It was either the switch turning, or the unrelenting scowl I was giving them all.) Eh, either way, I think I got my point across.

I had the most lovely Thanksgiving this year. It was full of laughs, family, food and fun. There were definitely many fond memories made. I love my sweet family and look forward to all being together again soon.

I'll leave you with this quote from Mr. Dan Rather that rationalizes all of the stink eyes, and tough love I give my kiddo's.


“The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called "truth"”



Truly, I love each and every one of them.

Comments

  1. I love it! And I love how you are making a clear impression on the world through your classroom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment