The Guinea Pig Saga

Don't by any means think the title of  this entry should evoke images of a soft, cuddly, sweet little creature. On the contrary, my friend. I had the same thought last week when I received an e-mail from a fellow teacher friend asking if anyone would like to inherit a guinea pig that was looking for a home. The subject line said Would make a great class pet! Yeah. Right. I have a man eating guinea pig in my classroom.

It came in and I immediately tried to pick it up. It squealed at an octave only dogs should have the capacity to hear and then bit me! Can you believe it? I was so surprised that I almost dropped it. I spent the rest of the day glaring at it from across the room. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the critter now. Any takers?

Aside from Guinicula being in my room, I had Meet The Teacher last night. It still blows my mind that I was the teacher everyone was coming to meet. It was one of the most overwhelming, yet exhilarating experiences of my life. It felt a bit like my wedding reception, except I was in a room full of strangers.

For the most part, all of the kiddos were really excited for school to start and appeared really happy to meet me. I was asked by several parents how old I was. I wanted to reply, "I'm 23, how old are you? Doesn't feel very good does it?" Instead I replied with a smile, "I'm 23 and just graduated from an excellent university that prepared me to be the best teacher for your child, and I cannot wait to get the year started!"

 Yeah, that shut em' up.

Honestly, I feel much better since I met my kids. They're what it's all about anyway. I'm still pretty overwhelmed with new information, technology problems and lesson plans, but for the most part I am excited and ready to jump in head first.

On another note, my "class pet" gives me something equally horrifying to have nightmares about besides backwards feet.

Comments