For the Love of Lizards


A few nights ago, we were hanging out in the backyard enjoying the fresh evening air after dinner. One of my favorite aspects of parenting is watching my kids play freely and unencumbered. I love observing their natural, unprompted tendencies and seeing their personalities unknowingly on display. So much of the interaction with our kids tends to be manufactured in some way, it's nice to clear any agenda and just let what is, simply be.

I was sitting on the deck bouncing Olive in my lap and flanked by Declan when I noticed Isaac's notorious arm-flailing-sprint flying across the yard. He frantically grabbed one of our cheap plastic "wanna be adirondack" chairs off the porch and darted to a large tree by the fence. He wonkily leaned the chair against the tree and enthusiastically leaped  into it in reach of something high up on the tree..

To absolutely no avail...

He hopped down, paused for a moment with a distinct look of disappointment on his face. As quick as it came, the look of dispair faded into an undeniable gaze of grit and determination. 

Isaac darted to the shed and grabbed his dad's ladder. He was trudging along and lugging it with as much momentum as he could muster back towards the tree and aforementioned chair.

Now look,  I try not to intervene when my kids are playing unless it appears they are going to get hurt. I had been watching Isaac's endeavor from the beginning, and I knew EXACTLY what he was thinking. 

..And I was right. 

He was  attempting to fit the ladder into the slanted seat of the awkwardly placed chair to get a bit more height to reach whatever it was that was eluding him. 

I knew it was time to intervene with some quandary. 

The following is a summary of our heart to heart:

Me: Isaac, what exactly are you attempting to do??
Isaac: There is the gigantic-est lizard up in this tree and I can't reach it. Every time I come close it, it runs away. 
Me: Well, Isaac...Why don't you just sit in the chair and wait for it to come down, then maybe you can catch it.
Isaac: Mom. It's never going to just come into my hand. If I want it, I have to work really hard to figure out a way to get it, AND I PROMISE YOU THAT JUST SITTING IN THIS CHAIR WILL NEVER WORK!

Whoa. Preach, son.

We immediatley set some parameters of safety and I let him get to work. 

I love it when my kids teach me deep and abiding life lessons. I sat with myself for a bit and thought about my own lizards. What is it that I want? What exactly are the goals and desires for my life in this season? More importantly what am I doing to get there?  What level of unapologetic effort am I putting towards the direction that I want to go? I know it isn't all about the hustle, but vision and goals prevent stagnation in mind, body, and spirit. 

Perhaps this is a great question for all of us to ponder? Even if our efforts appear confusing, risky, or destined to fail...might I suggest that we keep pressing forward?  That thing that you are innately passionate about isn't there by accident. I truly believe it was hemmed into your heart for a purpose. It doesn't matter your age or season in life, as humans I think we are in a constant series of unfolding. After all is said and done, in every circumstance, we will either win or learn, and I don't believe it's asking too much if we aim for both. 

Do something. Take that first step. Stay in your lane and work hard not to compare.

After all, as my son so eloquently put it...

IT WON'T JUST COME TO YOU, AND I PROMISE YOU THAT SITTING IN THIS CHAIR WILL NEVER WORK!! 

To be truthful and vulnerable, resurrecting this old blog is a lizard for me. I get nervous before I  post wondering if people will roll their eyes at my seemingly unsolicited advice, or think I'm cheesy or boring. Well, pish posh on that negative thought train because I love writing and it makes me feel good. If it brings a smile to one person's face or encourages someone, it is all worth it to me.

I also have a fun mental visual of 30-year-old Isaac reading my words one day and recognizing that I worked hard not to stifle his passionate nature, even when it continually raises my blood pressure. Isaac has yet to catch his infamous lizard, but I have no doubt that in due time I will have a spiky reptile in an old pickle jar gracing our coffee table.










Comments

  1. Love that little man and love you! Proud of you, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seize the day! Great blog - keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment