On Eating Frogs


The most productive thing I've accomplished today was cleaning the shelves of my refrigerator. Some of you may chide me for being ultra-productive because you haven't done that in awhile. Well, let me put your kidding to rest and inform you that the only reason I cleaned my fridge shelves today was because a long forgotten jar of pepperoncini peppers toppled over and singed all of our nose hairs when I went to grab coffee creamer this morning.

I didn't sleep well last night and was incredibly delighted when I woke up and checked the calendar. The only thing I had committed to doing today was changing my Brita filter. (This was before I went to grab my coffee creamer)

On a day like  all I want to do is drink coffee and muster up all my nonchalance as my children destroy the house.

There are a plethora of tasks I need to be doing, but it's hard to find the motivation some days. I'm reminded of a Mark Twain quote that says, "Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day." The idea is that the metaphorical frog is our seemingly worst task. You know, the one we're dreading the most. The impactful task that seems looming, yet isn't entirely difficult to put off until later. I actually ate two frogs this week. I purged my closet by at least 80% to be sent for donation, and I completely overhauled my pantry. After eating those frogs I felt so accomplished. I say this not to toot my own horn, because after all, I'm the one with a half used two year-old jar of Italian peppers looming in the back of my fridge. I never said I was the Saint Patron of Productivity. 

All I'm saying is just do the thing. You'll be glad you did. 

Besides, as I previously mentioned, I ate two frogs this week already. I will pat past Katti on the back as present Katti sits merrily in a needed sabbath day. Cheers!


Comments