Friday, September 18, 2015

The Truth

The truth is adoption is hard. It is undeniably worth it, but it is hard all the same.


Going through this process means doctors visits, references, notaries, fingerprints, hours and hours of required training (in person and online), well meaning, yet intrusive interviews, the home study...the list goes on and on.


I don’t want it to come off as if I’m complaining, (well, maybe I am a little) I just want to highlight the reality that building your family through adoption is certainly a lot more complicated and less...umm..romantic than the more traditional route.


But, believe it or not, a HUGE reason why people choose not to adopt has nothing to do with a lack of desire…


A lot of people would happily jump through every blazing hoop I mentioned above if it weren’t for the overwhelming cost.


I’ll be honest, I don’t get offended very easily. I LOVE when people ask me about adoption. It is part of my very heartbeat and I am honored to consider myself an advocate. However, I once had a stranger (upon finding out that Isaac was adopted) ask me how much he cost. Now, I am not denying the potentially innocent intention behind her question, but I can say it jolted me a bit.


My response, “Well, first of all..you don’t purchase children.” Then I went on to explain the various fees associated with paperwork, lawyers, medical exams etc.”


This stranger abruptly, and unwittingly highlighted a common theme associated with adoption...It’s expensive.


We would not have been able to adopt Isaac without the support of our family and friends.  


The truth is, you don’t have to be a millionaire to be the parents of an adopted child. You do, however, have to be intentional, educated, and resourceful.  


Adam works extremely hard at his job. I also work hard at caring for Isaac daily and teaching yoga classes part time. We are on a budget (Dave Ramsey, whoop!) and do not live lavishly. We are everyday hardworking people who are excited about growing our family.


Interested in coming along side us in this journey?


We have two fundraisers going on simultaneously.


You can buy one of our “Baby Steps” shirts. They will come in both Athletic (Dri-Fit) material and Traditional 100% Cotton. The cotton shirts are $20.00 and the Dri-Fit shirts will be $25.00. Please click THIS LINK to pre-order and mail us cash or a check! 

**(We also accept PayPal @ kattihenderson4@gmail.com)  

Shout out to my girl, Beth Bradford, for the shirt design & The Woodlands Screen Printing for their amazing work


We’ll take pre-orders until next Friday, September 25 and orders will be placed the following week!


OR


You can participate on our team for the Chosen Marathon. On November 21, 2015 we will be running (5K, 10K, Half Marathon, or Full Marathon) in New Braunfels. 100% of our teams registration fees go towards our family. If running is not your jam, you can register as a sleepwalker and not even show up to the event! Check out www.chosenmarathon.com for more information.


Our hearts are so grateful for every single person who invests in our family. We literally could not do it without your prayers, love, and support.

So--rock out in a rad Baby Step’s shirt, or run like the wind (or both!) knowing that you are supporting an awesome cause, and our family is forever grateful.

Much Love,
Katti, Adam, & Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment